Ice Hockey Australia
(Trading name of Ice Hockey Australia Limited)
ABN: 77 106 538 293 ACN: 629 477 890
Level 1, 105 Pearl River Road
Docklands, VIC 3008 Australia
E: firstname.lastname@example.org W: www.iha.org.au
- EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST – ICE HOCKEY AUSTRALIA NATIONAL SENIOR MEN’S TEAM
Ice Hockey Australia (IHA) is calling for nominations for its National Senior Men’s Team to represent Australia at the International Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF) Division II, Group A World Championship in Madrid, Spain, April 16 – 22 2023.
As our National Team enters a rebuilding phase, this program is an opportunity for both experienced high performance hockey players and our underpinning talent who have aspirations to play at the highest level.
If you have experience at National senior or Men’s U20/18 level previously, are playing in the Australian Ice Hockey League (AIHL), or a League equivalent to AIHL or higher, and have the drive and commitment to represent Australia at our highest level in Men’s Ice Hockey, we would love to hear from you.
Campaign Details (2023):
• Feb/ March 2023: Training Camp in Melbourne – exact dates tbc
• April 14 approx: Pre-tournament Camp (overseas, location tbc)
• April 20 approx: Arrive in Madrid, Spain
• April 16 – 22: Tournament in Madrid, Spain
• April 23: Return to Australia and home States.
Essential Selection Criteria:
• Must be a registered IHA Member in good standing at the time of the tournament or camps
• Must have a valid Australian passport and meet the IIHF eligibility requirements to represent Australia (https://www.iihf.com/en/static/5453/eligibility)
• Must not be in breach of any IIHF/ IHA sanctioned League contracts (in Australia or overseas)
• For overseas candidates playing in a league sanctioned by the IIHF Member National Association (equivalent to IHA) or that has a direct agreement with the IIHF, it is expected that you are playing at an equivalent or higher level than Australia’s IIHF sanctioned Tier One League, the AIHL. A range of edited game footage, against several different opponents, should be forwarded to selectors.
• For any players participating in leagues which are not sanctioned by the IIHF Member National Association, evidence should be provided that the league is at an equivalent or higher level than the AIHL and a range of edited game footage, against several different opponents, should be forwarded to selectors. In addition, the following must be provided:
o Official Rule Book, noting sections and variants to official IIHF Rule Book and Regulations
o Integrity Documents. If the League is not affiliated with a National Sports Integrity Unit (e.g., in
Australia, this is ‘Sports Integrity Australia’) then please provide documentation regarding the
§ Anti-doping and Supplements Policies and Testing Protocols
§ Gambling and Match Fixing Policies and Protocols
§ Harassment and Discrimination Policy
§ Covid-19 and Infection Control Training Protocols
• Selected players must commit to all pre-departure fitness, skill and conditioning programs as set by the coaching and performance staff, and be available to attend the Training and Pre-Tournament Camps (*overseas players with approved clashing commitments may apply for exemption)
• All players must be fully compliant with requested reporting, paperwork, team meetings and any other office performance requirements as requested or set by the Coach, Medical Staff, Team Manager or IHA.
• The cost of the program is estimated to be no more than $1,500 for each player for the overseas tour segment, plus costs of Melbourne Training Camp (tbc). This includes all tour flights and ground transport, accommodation and meals (NOTE: this does not include equipment, extra snacks or spending money, which will be at player’s expense)
• Players are encouraged to apply for State and Local government, and other eligible individual sporting grants to assist with the offset of these costs.
• Selection of this team will be via application and players will be evaluated and selected to the National Team training squad based on their performance in the Australian Ice Hockey league or in equivalent or higher level overseas competitions. Selection to the final roster will be at the discretion of the selection panel and may include evaluation of performance at additional selection events.
• If you believe you would be a strong candidate for this team and have an exceptional circumstance that prevents you from participating in the identified tryout events, for example a long-term injury that is currently being rehabilitated, please provide supporting documentation (sports physician’s medical certificate, rehabilitation plan and clearance to return to play) to the IHA board via email@example.com.
The selection panel for our National Men’s Hockey Team for 2023 is:
• Matti Luoma (WA, National Men’s Team Head Coach, Head of Selection Panel)
• Mick Flaherty (VIC, National Men’s Team Assistant Coach)
• Mark Rummukainen (ACT, Coach and former National Team and AIHL player)
• Ray Sheffield (NSW, former AIHL player)
• Ryan O’Handley (SA, Former National Men’s and U20 Coach and National Player
NOTE: As per other IIHF Countries’ selection protocols Selectors will not be viewing any competitions other than the sanctioned Tier One competition/ league in each country. AIHL players need not send footage as selectors will be viewing fixtures weekly.
• It is anticipated that this document clarifies all information for candidates, however if any additional information is required about the selection process or the campaign, candidates should address them in writing to Head of Selection, Matti Luoma at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• To be considered for selection, Please apply via email to Matti Luoma at email@example.com
o Your hockey achievements and highest level played
o Why you want to be part of Team Australia – Senior Men’s at the World Championship
o Leadership qualities that you have and have demonstrated and leadership positions held
o How you would help the team to win on the ice
o How you would be an asset to the team off the ice
o A coach who can be contacted to support your application
o The supporting coach’s name, email address and mobile number
Your application can be in dot point form and does not need to be longer than two paragraphs.
By applying, it is assumed that you will uphold the IHA Player Code of Conduct at all times and be an excellent ambassador for Australia if successful in selection. We are committed to honouring our past, succeeding in the present and shaping a prosperous future for our IHA high performance teams.
We look forward to receiving your application by FRIDAY JUNE 24 2022.